Best Dual Band Wifi Router. After several hours of research and the exhaustive examination of more than twenty routers, we have determined that the TP-Link Archer C7. represents one of the best options on the market, especially considering its price/quality ratio. It is easy to configure, it has a large number of functionalities and above all, it is very efficient. Probably the one that satisfies the majority of users.
Also Read: Best Pillow For Allergies In India 2020
Why Trust Us?
Best Dual Band Wifi Router. The Selectos team spends thousands of hours searching, analyzing, and comparing products in order to select the ones that offer the best quality/price ratio.
None of the products sponsors us. Sometimes we receive commissions when you buy a product through our links, which allows us to finance our work. Furthermore, we are totally impartial. If you want to know more.
How Have We made The Selection?
A Wifi router is a device that acts as an interface in your computer network, managing the transfer of data from the source to the correct IP address to connect your devices to each other.
Although a router is normally delivered when subscribing to an internet service, it is usually a basic model and cannot respond in a way adapted to the needs of each person (use of the Internet, area to be covered, the importance of stability of network…). So it may be interesting to invest in your own router.
In order to better understand this (not well known) market, here is a summary of the different types of routers that can be found:
- The dual-band: the best known and the cheapest, is a router capable of hosting two Wifi networks, operating on two frequencies: 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Thus, the devices that support the 5 GHz standard, faster and newer, connect to it, and older ones use the 2.4 GHz standard.
- The tri-band: most recent on the market, they have 3 channels, two of 5 GHz, and one of 2.4 GHz. This is very practical if multiple devices are used at the same time (at least 5, otherwise the difference with a dual-band will be imperceptible) to decongest the network, as each channel uses a different signal.
Even so, these devices are also distinguished by the speed they can achieve. Best Dual Band Wifi Router
- The N600: As its name indicates, it can reach a speed of 600 Mbps, but this speed is shared between the two channels of 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. It is an older, but reliable method. Not recommended for today’s ultra-fast connections.
- The N900: It is the evolution of the N600, but with a combined speed of 900 GHz.
- The AC1750: like the two previous models, its name reveals the combined speed it can reach, 1750 GHz. Although, unlike the others, it does not share it between the two channels: the 2.4 GHz band reaches a speed of 450 Mbps and 5 GHz, 1300 Mbps.
- The AC1900: It is comparable to the previous model, except for one aspect, since its 2.4 GHz channel reaches 600 Mbps.
- The AC3200 : with this router we enter the tri-band category. Its combined speed is 3200 Mbps. “600 Mbps are divided between the two 5GHz channels and the remaining 600 Mbps for the 2.4 GHz one.
- The AC5300 : constitutes the latest technology on the market. Today, very few devices have a combined speed of 5300 GHz. In view of its power, it typically does not reach that figure.
- The DD-WRT : less popular on the other side of the Atlantic, it is a router based on the Linux operating system. As it is in OpenSource (anyone can contribute and consult the source code), it is one of the most complete and offers almost unlimited configuration possibilities, normally blocked by manufacturers. However, they require computer skills to manipulate them optimally.
In this comparison, we have essentially focused on routers from AC1750 to AC3200, as they generally better meet the demands in terms of Wi-Fi connectivity for a home or small business network.
However, whatever model you choose, standard and scope are two of the most important parameters to consider.
- The Norm: in the technical sheet of the product you can find a number that indicates the norm: 802.11XX. The suffix (represented as “XX”) indicates the generation to which the router belongs. All the models put on the market since 2017 correspond at least to the 802.11.ac standard. (You can also find “ad”: high speed, but little range). Therefore, it is necessary to verify that the router complies with this standard so as not to invest in an obsolete device.
- The Scope: the coverage or scope of the router always appears indicated in the datasheet. However, what it actually shows is the maximum range measured without obstacles (interference, walls, etc.). Therefore, the actual range will always be less. Instead, you should know that there are always possibilities to expand your network, opting for a Wifi repeater, a CPL, or installing a Wifi system.
We wanted to stay below € 250 investment, as the most expensive models are usually intended for professional or more specialized use. With this price range in mind we have examined dozens of models, all of them considered among the best in quality / price ratio.
We have consulted specialized English and French guides for each of the chosen models, paying special attention to the presence of the most practical features.
- The “Guest” Network: Some routers allow you to use one of their two or three bands to create an isolated network that protects the security of the main network. This is what companies are looking for, for example, so that visitors can connect. This option will give you the possibility to set a bandwidth limit assigned to this network so that your main band is not affected.
- Beamforming: Instead of proposing an equitable distribution of the waves, the router identifies the connected devices and sends it the data in a directional way. Naturally, the benefits are higher given the drastic limitation of data loss (note that this functionality may appear under different names, as each brand has its own patent).
- The MU-MIMO (Multi-User, Multiple-Input, Multiple-Output): this option allows routers to communicate more efficiently with several devices at the same time. Instead of sharing the network alternately, the different connected devices will use their own communication channel. This option is almost essential for large families and small businesses.
- The QoS (Quality of Service): this option allows you to establish access priorities for the different devices in the home, either to certain identified devices (computer or smartphone), or identifying certain tasks (gaming, streaming, internet browsing …).
The presence or not of some of these options (for an equivalent price) has allowed us to refine our selection, in addition, the consultation of the different opinions of users on different specialized websites has allowed us to reduce the choice to 5 models.
The Best Cheap Wifi Router
In this first category, we have decided to focus on models of less than Rs. 5000. Although they are not the most equipped on the market, they are reliable in-network processing.
TP-Link Archer C7: the best cheap (Best Dual Band Wifi Router)
TP-Link is undoubtedly one of the main players in this market. Present in all price ranges, this brand proposes routers recognized for their reliability. Its strong point: competitive prices. Its weakness: a much lower management interface than the rest of the competition. However, it does not pose problems for occasional and domestic use.
Despite its low price, it is a dual-band router (2.4 and 5 GHz), AC1750. This means that it can reach the combined speed of 1750 Mbps, of which 450 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz channel and 1300 on the 5 GHz channel. This is enough to get a smooth and fast connection for both gaming and streaming.
It has six antennas: three internal and three external. This gives you a comfortable range and allows you to direct them according to the circumstances (for example, point the antenna towards your garden to enjoy Wi-Fi during your barbecues).
As for the options, although its power is not exceptional, it is capable of functioning as a NAS (network storage server; it allows parental control (to manage which device can access the Internet); and it is also connected to the Tether application, which facilitates its configuration and allows the creation of a Wifi channel for guests.
If we talk about its design, it was to be expected that it was plastic, therefore, it is not very solid. If you drop it to a certain height, it probably won’t survive.
As for connectivity, despite its price, it is quite well supplied: two USB 2.0 ports (which allow you to connect a Bluetooth key or a printer, for example), as well as four Ethernet ports.
Simple and basic, we have chosen to integrate it into our selection mainly because, with its six antennas, it offers coverage and stability far superior to that of the router integrated into your modem.
The Best Mid-Range Wifi Router
In this Rs. 11000 to 12000 range, in addition to a stable and powerful connection, we have emphasized the presence of additional functionalities, as well as the efficiency and fluidity of the interface. Best Dual Band Wifi Router
Netgear R7000P Nighthawk AC2300: the best mid (Best Dual Band Wifi Router)
Among the best-selling routers in our neighboring country, France, the Nighthawk has become Netgear’s flagship for the mid-range. This particular model was presented by the brand as a model for streaming and online video games. It is a dual-band router with a maximum speed of 2300 Mbps.
One of its first advantages is that it can be used in a simple way (you only have to carry out a simple configuration guided by the router itself during the installation), or through the web interface accessible through the web Http://www.router login .net. It’s more than enough for tech lovers!
And not only does it allow for fast and efficient network streaming, but it also has a ton of really appreciated features.
For example, it offers Smart Connect technology, which Netgear calls Beamforming. Therefore, instead of transmitting random waves, the router identifies the connected devices and directs the signal directly towards them, which contributes a lot of power to the network signal flow. This is effectively combined with MU-MIMO technology, which enables the router to more efficiently communicate to multiple devices at the same time.
To this is added the presence of QoS, which allows establishing access priorities for the different devices, either on the basis of recognition of the device itself (for example, a computer), or on the basis of the function performed (for example, streaming).
As for security, it includes smart and quite advanced parental controls, as well as independent and secure guest network settings.
The purchase includes Netgear Armor, a tool that protects you from viruses and various security vulnerabilities (but it is only a three-month trial).
As for the connection, it has everything you need and even more: more than four Ethernet ports, a USB 2.0 port and a USB 3.0.
In the end, it is possibly the router that best satisfies the majority of users. It offers multiple functionalities and adapts to both beginners and the most knowledgeable on the subject.
The Best High-End Wifi Router
Asus RT-AC88U: the best high-end (Best Dual Band Wifi Router)
Its design is impeccable, with a futuristic look that gamers will like. But of course, it’s not just that. One of its main advantages is its connectivity, with no less than eight ethernet ports and a USB 3.0, and four new generation antennas.
The theoretical throughput shown by the manufacturer is 2167 Mb / s in both the 5 GHz and 1000 Mb / s bands at 2.4 GHz, that is, higher than the Netgear.
In practice, this means having a network bandwidth that is broadly optimized by beamforming (which Asus calls AiRadar). Of course, the quality of the signal is affected, but it is possible to launch four Full HD streams simultaneously without any problem.
One of Asus’ selling points is the wide variety of options, especially in terms of security. Network control is easy and complete. The integrated AiProtection software allows you to control the performance/security ratio intuitively and smoothly through the interface of the PC or the smartphone. It also allows the creation of different connection profiles and assigns the priorities or limitations of the bandwidth (this is ideal to assign a fixed part in the network for “guest” guests).
When it comes to gaming, not only does MU-MIMO allow for optimal bandwidth distribution for online gaming, but WTFast (game data accelerator) software allows for ideal pinging. Finally, the presence of the three bands “decongests” the network if they like games on LAN (meeting of network players).
All in all, it offers less customization possibilities than the Netgear, but its connectivity and maximum speed assigned to the bandwidth make it a perfect router for e-Sports fans.
TP-Link Archer C7: Being in the category of cheap routers, this interesting option offers a maximum speed of 300 Mbps in the 2.4 GHz band and 867 Mbps in the 5 GHz. It has four Ethernet ports and a USB port, in addition, 3 external antennas guarantee optimal customization of network coverage. In fact, it is one of the most reliable at this price.
Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC2300 – Slightly more affordable than the R7000P, the R7000 is an AC1900 router that offers slightly less speed and customization possibilities. However, it represents an excellent quality/price ratio for those who do not want to spend too much.
ASUS RT-AC88U: Computer enthusiasts should be able to satisfy their demands with this DD-WRT router that, thanks to its software, allows a serious increase in performance and security. In terms of DD-WRT, it is the best option on the market.
In Conclusion, Which Wifi Router to Choose?
If you want to obtain a more efficient Wi-Fi router than the one provided by your internet company, you must take into account the characteristics that best suit your needs.
If you are simply looking for a router to have a stable internet connection, with a longer range and probably faster, since you do not need to have personalization elements, the TP-Link Archer C7 is an ideal economic choice.
However, our favorite is the Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC2300, which offers numerous functionalities and allows a wide range of customization. In addition, its configuration is simple. As for the quality/price ratio, it is excellent.
Finally, if you really need a high-speed connection, the ASUS RT-AC88U should meet your expectations. It also presents one of the most customizable configurations on the market, which will be very popular with those who know it.